Thursday, September 30, 2010
We have been plugging along with school and other things this week. Someone asked me yesterday if I loved homeschooling and I honestly do....except when I don't. Let me explain. I am grateful that I get to stay at home with my girls and homeschool. I am grateful that we spend precious hours together. I am grateful that, at this time, God has allowed all these things to be a part of our lives.
But....let's get real here. It is hard to be fully engaged and solely responsible for my children's education. I mean it's totally up to my husband and I to make sure they get what they need academically and to be quite honest I am scared sometimes. Especially when they struggle to learn a concept or, in the case of my youngest, refuse to read for a few months.
On the days when the doubt creeps in I have to step back and take a deep breath. I have to readjust my thinking because we CAN'T do it alone. We were not called to homeschool by ourselves. God has called us and He will provide the strength and know how.
Along those same lines, it is our job to make sure we are doing our part. We need to make educated choices in curriculum. Not just use something because it's what we've always used. We need to know our kids and make sure they are being steered toward Jesus and His direction for their lives.
I'll admit sometimes I get so caught up in the craziness of life that I have a meltdown before I ask for help from Jesus. He alone is my strength and I feel weak when I've not asked Him to strengthen me. I'm amazed at what I can accomplish when I put Him in charge. Then I step back and say, "Thank you, Jesus. I couldn't have done it without You."
I love homeschooling.....today.
Tuesday, September 28, 2010
- helped Mike clean the garage. It was a beautiful day and we got a lot accomplished. YAYYY! Now we can walk around in there without going through an obstacle course.
- went for a drive with the family. It was such a nice Saturday evening we couldn't resist.
- had a good time of worship at church. BTW, the book of James is very convicting. He wouldn't be a very popular pastor today.
- watched the first 2 episodes of "Our Mutual Friend". We are addicted to the Charles Dickens mini-series' by BBC. We have watched "Bleak House", "Lil Dorrit", "Great Expectations" and "Wives and Daughters". We also like the Elizabeth Gaskell series "Cranford" and "Return to Cranford".
- spent time with Trevor and Jessie. We looked through pictures, laughed, and enjoyed the company.
- enjoyed each day and cherished the normal.
Friday, September 24, 2010
The days are getting shorter around here but the heat hasn't abated....yet. I am looking forward to the weekend because, according to the weather man, it's suppose to get 10 degrees cooler.
We have been plugging away at our lessons and digging into some really cool stuff about the American Revolution. We have been playing a presidents game that I got from Dollar Tree and I think that might just be the hit of the month. I love picking up random stuff like that and having it become a fun game to play. Well, also because it's cheap.
We got a new parts of speech game called "Cooking Up Sentences" that we are wanting to play later today. I saw the review on The Pioneer Woman's Blog and we are wanting to hone our parts speech so it has been a good fit.
I guess we are eclectic homeschoolers because people ask me what curriculum I use and I have to name off a bunch of different things. I have a bookshelf full of books and different workbooks. I love to read aloud and the girls really like it too. (thankfully)
I have been thinking about using some Bob Jones or Apologia. I need to make a decision about science curriculum and I am dragging my feet. I guess the library books will have to be our source for science until I make myself come up with a plan.
Have a great weekend!
Monday, September 20, 2010
- went grocery shopping with Mike and the girls.
- ate supper at Chickfila. We saw Trevor, Jessie, and a family from church. Saturday was Jessie's last day working there.
- watched COPS with Mike.
- made a blueberry delight for lunch at church on Sunday.
- cooked BBQ and macaroni and cheese for lunch at church on Sunday.
- listened to the visiting preacher give a great message.
- hung out with my people:)
- watched an episode of Pushing Daisies, Hoarders, American Pickers, and Pawn Stars on Netflix. (Fyi~Hoarders makes me gag sometimes.)
- Spent some much needed time with my husband.
Friday, September 17, 2010
- I can't believe summer is over.
- I guess we better start school.
- I'm sure I should clean the house.
- I guess doing laundry should be on my list of things to do.
- I need to make a grocery list.
- I should wash these pesky dishes.
- I may need to make some dinner.
- I have to do a menu plan.
- I really should be reading a book to my girls.
- I must spend some quality time with my husband.
- I have to go through all these winter clothes.
- I may need to clean out the fridge
- I most assuredly need to dust the TV.
- I could be organizing a closet.
- I'm not doing any of these things at the moment.