Friday, January 26, 2007

Boundaries

I am reading a book that has been around since 1992. I got a recommendation about this book from the Pastor's Wives Seminars that I attended in the fall. I just got it from the library this past week. Boy, does it speak to me. Have you ever read a book and it talks right to you as soon as you read the first page?(other than the Bible:~) This one does that for me. Boundaries by Henry Cloud and John Townsend.

Man, OH, man, do I have a problem with boundaries. I was talking to my friend yesterday and I was telling her how much it speaks to me. I have quoted scripture to myself for years as reasons why I should do all kinds of things for people. They take almost every one of them and show why we SHOULD have boundaries!! It just amazes me.

My husband has told me for years that I needed boundaries and to be honest it has been a sore point between us at times. I have gotten SO angry at him because he refused to do something that I knew other people expected us to do and he didn't want to do it. I would cry and plead with him to do this particular thing because I was afraid someone would get upset with us if didn't do it. Thankfully, he is not easily persuaded because now that I can look back on it, he was right to have those boundaries in place.

I am looking forward to working on these boundary issues I have. In fact, today when Dh came home from school, I was on the phone with someone and I politely told them I needed to go because he was home. It was not painful, it was some what liberating. I know that I sounds kind of foolish, but we all have things that we need to work on. Boundaries is one of my issues. I will be working on this for awhile so you will probably hear more on this subject later.

No comments: