Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Thoughts About Today

I turned on the radio yesterday afternoon to an AM station that we have here in Middle Tennessee. I know this information is not a top news story, but what I heard on that Christian station made me ponder some things. The guest was Gianna Jessen and I am sure not a whole lot of people know who she is. I didn't before I listened yesterday and I hope I never forget her name or her story.

She is a woman that was born in 1977, four years after I was born. She has cerebral palsy and she was adopted. Those are not unusual things in themselves, the reasons behind the CP and adoption are a miracle straight from God. See, Gianna was a baby that was unwanted. Her birth mother went to Planned Parenthood in New York 3 years after Roe V. Wade. She was talked into having an abortion in her 7th month of pregnancy. They used saline to kill the baby and then deliver her.

What they didn't expect was the baby to be born ALIVE!! A nurse called an ambulance to come and get this baby that did not die. She was given a zero percent chance at life but they were wrong!!! She not only survived, she was adopted by her foster mother's daughter. AMAZING!!

God spared her life and she has decided to live for Him. Go and read her bio on giannajessen.com.

I have been thinking about my life and how abortion has played a part in it. Over 16 years ago, I was considering an abortion. I was 17 years old, getting ready for my senior year of high school. It was at the end of July when my Mom realized why I was acting so strangely. She went to the store and got a pregnancy test. It was positive. I was ashamed, scared, feeling like my life was over.

I don't know why I am writing this. Anyway, I went to the doctor and they confirmed what we already knew. I was devastated. I talked things over with my parents and I told them I didn't know what I was going to do. I knew they didn't agree with abortion but they said it was my decision. I remember looking the phone number up in the phone book. I remember dialing the number. I remember talking to the woman on the other end. I remember making the appointment. I remember knowing that I could not got through with it.


Thank God that I didn't because my precious baby is now a 15 yr old that I can't imagine living without. Yes, it was tough carrying a baby almost my entire senior year. Yes, it was hard to see my "friends" turn there backs as I walked down the hallway. My parents were very supportive and loved me through this ordeal. They never told me so, but I knew that I had let them down. More importantly, I had let myself down and that was a hard thing to get over. Thank God I had my parents, a few friends and boyfriend that were there for me.

I know that God had a plan for me. He knew I was going to make a mistake and turn away from Him. He knew and He loved me anyway. He helped me to get up from my bloody nose and skinned knees. He was right there waiting to hold my hand and help me stand. I know that my life would have been totally different if I had went to that appointment and I am forever grateful that I did not go. My heart goes out to so many that do go and regret it. My prayer is that I will remember the ones that have different outcomes than mine and pray for them often.

This year I will be married to my sweet husband for sixteen years and I can honestly say I love him more now than ever. He is a great father, he loves the Lord with all his heart, and he loves me more than I could ever ask for. When people hear how long we have been married, how young we were, and under what circumstances we were married, they say it is amazing. And I say, it is only by the grace of God. He is the only one that can have the praise for it all. Not in our strength but HIS!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know you went through that so that god can use you to help others. Look how long it took you to come to this point and talk about it. I have read the book on giavanna, i was flabbergasted. You and Mike are an inspiration to me, I know where you started and i know where you are. Your marriage and relationship is what I want whenever I find my prince.

Becky